Monday, August 06, 2007

Catching up

I've been quiet for several days. I've had a surprising amount to do in the real world, which I will not bore you with. In the meantime there's been some great debate going on in the comments of various posts and I must say that I'm thrilled by this. It's one thing to preach to the choir, so to speak, but it's a far better thing when atheists and theists really get a dialogue going, even if it does seem to go nowhere fast most of the time. Thanks to everyone for the debate. I'm learning a great deal.

Today I'm going to try and catch up on some of the comments and posts I'm behind on. There should be a lot to read by the end of the day. I think I'm going to start by responding to Rhology's criticism of my Message to all Creationists by countering the "no macro-evolution" stance often taken by creationists. I expect this response to be quite damning because I also intend to attack creationism in some detail. I'm tired of the hypocrisy of the creationist camp and the way that empty arguments are levelled against evolution as though they are giant cannons, capable of shooting great holes in the theory - they are not - and the simple truth is that if the creationist argument had to live up to even a billionth of the scrutiny and standards of evidence applied to science then it would still fail horribly. It's time to insist of the same standards being applied to all contenders and it is obvious if we do that then we are left alone with evolution or we have opened the gates to every mad idea that any ill-informed fop can come up with.

After that I'm going to get on with the Morality debate. Rhology has posted his latest response, which I have to say is extremely empty and simply repeats points I've already covered. For that reason my response will contain many of the same points restated, but I'll also introduce some new stuff to keep it fresh.

So anyway, today I'll be catching up and I hope that the debates will continue. I've got a lot to do so I'd better get on with it. Ciao for now :)

UPDATE:

Unfortunately I've not managed to complete the articles I wanted to write today. Now I'm tired and would rather stick my feet up with a movie and a bottle of wine than wade through creationist dribble, even though it is very shallow. I'll get at least the creationist post up tomorrow which has turned into something of a monster.

If you enjoyed this article please feel free to digg it down below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creationist appointed head of Texas school board. Via FSM. Is there no end to this widicuwouthneth ;)

Hurry up and post!

http://www.venganza.org/2007/08/05/texas-sboe.htm

xx Ru

Rhology said...

Yeah, hurry - they might change their minds if they read your post!!!!!!!!!!!
[/breathless excitement]

;-)

chooseDoubt said...

Sorry, hurrying ain't happening. I've got other things that need to be done and I've got no intention of rushing the macroevolution post or the latest morality post. If something is worth doing then it may be worth doing it well. We'll see :)

Anonymous said...

@ rhology
fundys change their minds?

I doubt it. To change a mind you need to open it first. Maybe I'm just cynical but I can't see that happening in a hurry.

The temptation to study evolutionary biology and move to Texas to start hedge schools (rather like the girls' schools in Afghanistan under the Taliban) is definitely there, though...

ru x